Friday, October 28, 2011

enchilada spaghetti.


Have you ever discovered a blog that feels like it was written just for you? One where every single recipe or picture posted is an instant 'bookmark' and every joke made has you chuckling along with the writer  as if you'd known them personally for years?  


A friend introduced me to How Sweet Eats a little while ago, and I've been stuck on it ever since. Literally, it's like a help, I can't tear myself away situation. I'm pretty sure I've combed through every single recipe in the archives and found not one that doesn't appeal to me (yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands). Sometimes I go back over ones I've looked at already, just to stare in open-mouthed awe at the pictures, which are beautiful. Not to mention the writer, Jessica, is friggin hilarious. So... yeah. A little obsessed. Moving on. 


 Another thing I became obsessed with upon discovering this blog was recreating her enchilada spaghetti. I literally could not get it off my mind. And so finally, this week, it was made. 

We followed the recipe, pretty much, but a few alterations (some accidental, some on purpose) took place. 

1) We used whole wheat linguine, rather than spaghetti, purely because that's what our grocery store had. 


2) We used a whole green pepper because our grocery store was out of red. (Seriously, what grocery store runs out of red peppers?)


3) I doubled the cayenne (accidentally mistook it for chilli powder - whoops! - but this worked out quite well as I like a bit more spice) and added a small finely chopped jalapeno for an extra kick. 


And 4) I added a big ol' dollop of sour cream. Because I don't eat anything "mexican" without it (in fact, I don't eat much of anything without it... gross?) And I skipped the cilantro. Wish I could say our "grocery store was out" again, but I just forgot. Anyways...





I ate it in my backyard among the fall leaves because I'm that weirdo who's still eating my meals "al dente," with my coat on, in late October...



...and it... was... fantastic. 

This tastes just like an enchilada, but in pasta form, which was much easier and tidier in-the-making than enchiladas themselves. It was delicious hot and delicious cold the next day. The pulled chicken soaks up the sauce in that amazing way that only pulled chicken does, making it even more tender and flavourful. My mouth is watering as I type.
Yup, definitely adding this one to the regular rotation.

Check out How Sweet Eats for the original recipe and many equally-droolworthy others. Thank me later - or don't, because you might get lost for hours in the archives like me. Don't say I didn't tell ya so.

3 comments:

  1. would salsa work with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good call on skipping the cilantro.. that shiz is naaasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. a bit of salsa on the side could be yummy!

    ReplyDelete